Thursday, October 18, 2012


Hi Mum and Dad

Didn't get back to you as soon as I intended but I need peace and quiet to set down the words I want to say and it has been a few quite busy days for we two oldies this week.

Monday Phil had to his visit his sleep doctor who is very pleased with him and will see him for a final visit in six months so that was good news.  His sleep machine is working really well.

I had an appointment with my physiotherapist Monday afternoon and she worked on my neck and the muscles around my ribs which were really giving me a problem and she certainly has smoothed out those aches and pains quite a bit.  Tomorrow I go back for some work on my lower back which has been badly neglected of late because of my knee and other bits and pieces that all got shook up when I did that sudden sitdown on the steps at the Rockingham Hotel a few weeks back.

On Tuesday we had the car booked in for its 6 month service at the RAC.  Poor Phil got held up in traffic so arrived 3 minutes late to catch the bus shuttle home so he had to walk to the bus, wait for about 20 minutes and then walk from the bus stop to home.  He was quite worn out when he arrived home 'cos he's not been doing as much walking as perhaps he should have been doing of late.

He was scheduled to be picked up by the shuttle bus that afternoon but it got to 4pm and no word from RAC.  We telephoned 3 times to try and get through to the Myaree workshop but just didn't make it.  They have these stupid 1300 or 13 numbers these days and it takes a while to get through to talk to a human being and when you do they then have to try to put you through to those you wish to speak to.  The young lass was very helpful on the last call and said she would get the folk at Myaree to ring back but they never did.  I think we should find out if they have a direct line to the Myaree workshop.  It got to 4.30pm so we thought it best for Phil to get a taxi over there.  Fortunately the taxi arrived within minutes and when he reached the workshop was told the car was not quite ready but he would have been picked up by the bus eventually.  It would have been great if someone had bothered to ring him with that information.   So....$20 out of pocket for taxi fare and the special offer of $35 off the account was not forthcoming as the man behind the counter said he knew nothing about the offer we had received by email even though Phil showed him a print out of the confirmation.

I was going to ring the RAC and complain but yesterday I had another silly vertigo attack and, even though I took a stemitel, it takes about 4 hours to fully recover from the attack.  I am definitely going to ring RAC tomorrow as I felt we were badly let down by them.  It is a shame as the car, which is now just over 8 years old, has been running better and doing a better mileage than when it was being serviced by Hyundai themselves.

Today we drove down to Rockingham.....gee, it is so beautiful down there by the front.... and had lunch at the old Rockingham Hotel.  We met Richard again (he is Judy and Barry's youngest and we have become great friends since both his mum and dad died as his siblings all turned against him and he needs someone who cares.  Richard had been making copies of some old photos I had which I had promised to send to Verna in Canberra and he has done a wonderful job with them.  I am sure she will be delighted to have them as they are of her parents and grandparents and other family members.  Verna will be 90 next month and we often have lengthy chats on the phone and get on so well together.  I still look on her as my sister-in-law even though I am not still married to her brother.

Gee, I really have gone on a little long but just wanted to cover what has been happening this week.  I am not sure the two of you would enjoy this modern, hectic world.  Phil and I are old enough now that we often sit and talk about what it was like 50 years ago and yearn for the peace and quiet of those times.  He has been in Australia 52 years now so like you Mum he is no longer an Adventurous Pom but definitely a Dinkum Aussie.

Love to you both


  1. Such a busy, busy, stressful and frightening week you have had. I do hope your vertigo has settled now - and I would certainly be contacting RAC. Earlier this morning I fell over not once but twice, so you have even more of my sympathies on that count. I am a bit bruised but fine. My trousers are filthy - front and back. The first time I landed on my behind, and the second I fell full length and landed on my front. Humph.

  2. Oh no my dear had not one but two falls. I guess you were overdoing it in your beloved garden. Do please be more careful for all or sakes. Do you use a walking frame at all? I have to if I go out where it is at all uneven or I might topple over. Yes the vertigo subsided once again but the cause? Who knows? What my doctor described seems entirely different to what is happening but I can't be bothered going back and arguing with him.
    Yes I did ring the RAC and spoke to a lovely lady who is going to put in a report on my behalf as an RAC member and someone will ring me next week. Would you believe I rang the Myaree branch twice today and no answer and the RAC lady herself tried to get through but failed. That is so ridiculous as if a person was held up and couldn't collect their car etc they wouldn't be able to contact the place. It is so ridiculous.
    Look after your dear self and NO MORE FALLS. That's an order. xx